To connect people in empathy and social consciousness through the
Folk, Singer/Songwriter genre of storytelling presented via live and recorded music.
"They say that music cures all ills and has a way of uplifting the soul when it is down.
The very first time I heard Kim Moberg at the NERFA 2017 Suzi Wollenberg Folk DJ showcase, that very thought came to mind.
Kim has a way of uplifting the spirit when it's down and filling one's heart and mind with hope.
She is a fresh voice on the scene and definitely wows a crowd. The world is a much brighter place with Kim Moberg."
-Jon Stein, Hootenanny Cafe, WTBQ Orange County, NY
Award winning singer/songwriter/guitarist Kim Moberg was born in Juneau, Alaska, the daughter of a mother of Alaskan Native Tlingit descent and a US Coast Guard veteran father from Kansas. Kim inherited an innate sense of music which was the constant in Kim's childhood, helping her to adjust to the frequent moves associated with growing up in a military family.
A classical pianist and guitarist, Kim’s mother guided her life-long love for a wide range of musical genres from traditional and contemporary jazz to Broadway tunes and Folk music. Her father, a lifelong country music fan, exposed her to legendary Country music artists like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams. As a Folk/Americana artist, Kim’s sound reflects this mélange of her musical upbringing.
At the age of 14, Kim began playing acoustic guitar on a borrowed nylon 6 string. Later, Kim taught herself to strum and finger pick to her favorite songs by singer/songwriters, but debilitating stage fright kept her from pursuing her dream of becoming a professional performer. In 2014, after a career spanning nearly two decades in the financial industry, Kim set out to overcome her stage fright and wrote her first song.
Kim teamed with Grammy-nominated producer Jon Evans (Tori Amos / Sarah McLachlan) to record "Above Ground” (2017) who's title celebrates the achievement of her goal to bring her music out of the basement.. The collection includes 7 original songs, including the anthem "Resist" and 1 cover ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry").
Her sophomore release “Up Around The Bend” (2020) addresses a variety of topics such as her great grandmother's marriages ("Josephine"), the soldiers that guard The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier ("21 Steps: Ballad of the Unknowns")and the award-winning "Angels Fly" about the loss of her sister to breast cancer.
Both albums have been aired world-wide and charted on the Folk International Folk DJ and the North American College & Community Radio charts to critical acclaim.
Kim and Jon collaborated again for her third album “The Seven Fires Prophecy: Suite for Humanity” (2023), an 8 song original suite that ties the ancient Anishinaabe prophecy to our current social environment. The project blossomed from Kim’s desire to share what she learned about Indigenous teachings and the important and relevant life lessons they offer.
Kim's rich vocals, described as “a blend of honey and whiskey”, gently guides listeners through her musical stories while her compositions tug at feelings of melancholy, heartbreak, healing and social consciousness.
Kim's recent accomplishments include:
-2024 Folk Alliance International Conference Official Showcase Artist
-2023 “The Seven Fires Prophecy Suite for Humanity” #8 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Top Album
- 2022 AFCC/MASSMoCA/A4A Capacity Building Grant Recipient
- 2022 The Folk Collective Member | Club Passim
- 2021 Recording Academy / Grammys Class of 2021
- 2021 “21 Steps (Ballad for the Unknowns)” #17 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Top Song
- 2021 “Up Around The Bend” #43 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Top Album
- 2021 Folk Alliance International Showcase Artist | International Indigenous Music Summit
- 2021 Rocky Mountain Songwriting Contest Finalist
- 2021 Finalist Great American Songwriting Contest Folk/Americana
- 2020 "Up Around The Bend” #62 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Top Albums of The Year
- 2020 CT Folk Grassy Hill Songwriting Competition Winner (1 of 5 Winners)
- 2020 Corpus Christi Songwriters Spring Songwriters Contest 2nd Place
- 2020 "Up Around The Bend" cd #31 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Chart
- 2020 Finalist Blues & Roots Radio International Song Contest
- 2020 Folk Alliance International Scholarship Grantee
- 2020 International Indigenous Music Summit / Folk Alliance International Performing Artist
- 2019 Music City (Nashville) SongStar Semi-Finalist Fall
- 2019 Finalist Blues & Roots Radio International Song Contest
- 2018 1st Place Rose Garden Coffee House Performing Songwriter Competition
- 2018 2nd Place Linden Tree Coffee House Winter Potpourri American Idol Folk
- 2018 ”Above Ground” cd #23 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Chart
- 2018 “In December” single #12 Folk Alliance International Folk DJ Chart
- 2017 NERFA Suzi Wollenberg DJ Showcase Performing Artist
Kim is a regionally touring artist whose resume includes sharing the stage with numerous established and contemporary artists including Jim Kweskin, Bill Staines, Kirsten Maxwell, Ellis Paul, Joe Jencks, Vance Gilbert, Catie Curtis, Cheryl Wheeler, Alice Howe, Louise Mosrie Coombs, Rod Abernethy, Grace Morrison, Rupert Wates, Tom Prasada-Rao and Tom Chapin and Leslie Mendelson.
She has performed at Coffee Houses, Festivals and House Concerts including the legendary Club Passim, Rose Garden Coffee House, Circle of Friends Coffee House, Linden Tree Coffee House, Off The Common Coffee House and Coffee House At The Mews.
Kim is a strong believer in the importance of giving back and being actively involved.
She offers her music at events to support her local community such as founder and
host of the monthly Craigville Coffeehouse Open Mic, founder and co-event manager of the Sandwich Arts Alliance PorchFest, serving a 5 year term as board member for Vinegrass (a non-profit organization that provides scholarships for music students www.vinegrass.org). In addition, Kim has donated her talents to political fundraisers, community and charity events, including her annual "Concert For Kelly", a benefit concert named for her sister to raise awareness about metastatic breast cancer.
Kim's professional affiliations include membership in the
-Recording Academy (Grammys), American Society of Composers
-Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Folk Alliance International (FAI)
-Americana Music Association (AMA)
_ Arts Foundation of Cape Cod
-Rhode Island Songwriters Association (RISA)
-Sandwich Arts Alliance (SAA)
Kim and Rob Moberg are the hosts of THE GREEN ROOM HOUSE CONCERTS, a music and community series that presents touring musicians. The series is a member in good standing of the FOLK ALLIANCE INTERNATIONAL and meets all the criteria of the Official House Concert agreement between FAI, BMI and ASCAP. For a calendar of events, please visit THE GREEN ROOM HOUSE CONCERTS tab.
"I had the honor last night of being a judge again in the Rose Garden Coffeehouse Songwriter Competition.
Congrats to Kim Moberg who really shone bright last night. She will be a songwriter to watch in the coming years! Great songwriting, delivery, musicianship, topics, comfort on the stage and with her audience."
-Robert Haigh, Judge, 2018 Rose Garden Coffee House Songwriter Competition
"Kim Moberg has created a project that features not only her lovely voice but a songwriting style that can easily transition from the gentle Americana-tinged ballads to thoughtful protest songs.
Above Ground is well worth a listen!"
-Joe Pszonek Radio Nowhere | Joltin Joe Pszonek Finnegan's Wake
(pc: Rachel Moberg)